We strongly suggest making early contact with the Program Director if you have an interest in applying to the Wilderness Medicine fellowship, and to apply early.
- Initial written letter of interest with a personal statement and current CV
- Support letters: 3 letters with one of those from your Current Program Director or Division Chief
- Preferred Application Deadline: October 15*
- Applicant Decision: November 1*
* After these dates, contact the Program Director about the possibility of additional openings
We are not currently accepting applications for 2022-2023. All openings are filled.
You can apply to the Wilderness Medicine Fellowship by contacting us directly via email or by post at:
Benjamin Church, MD, Wilderness Medicine Fellowship Director
Baystate Medical Center
Department of Emergency Medicine
759 Chestnut Street
Springfield, MA 01199
Prior to matriculation to Wilderness Medicine fellowship training at Baystate Medical Center, all incoming fellows must have:
- Graduated from an ACGME-accredited Emergency Medicine Residency Program and have completed the program in good standing.
- Board certification, or be board-eligible, in emergency medicine
- Passed the USMLE Step 3 or COMLEX-USA Level 3 examination
- A full medical license from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine prior to starting and all necessary certifications to practice independently
- Two letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and current curriculum vitae
- Satisfactory findings from all pre-employment verifications conducted that may include a combination of the following: criminal background and/or CORI file review, professional references, license verification, driving record evaluation, and credentialing review
- Successful completion of a pre-placement physical examination including a urine drug test
- All fellowship candidates must fulfill Baystate's Resident/Fellow Appointment Requirements.
Consistent with recommendations from the AAMC and the ACGME, UMMS-Baystate GME programs will conduct interviews virtually for all applicants. The chosen platform is Thalamus.
We are developing the process as well as the schedule for the 2020-2021 interview season, and updates will be published when available.
Contact for Questions