Pediatric Weight Management Program
The habits formed in childhood and adolescence will follow your child throughout his or her life. If your child is overweight, now is the time to make a change to prevent or reduce other health problems, such as:
- Bone and joint problems
- Gallbladder disease
- High blood pressure
The Pediatric Weight Management Program team at Baystate focuses on what you can do now to improve your child’s health – in big or small steps comfortable for you. Allow us to help your child reach a healthy weight that makes him or her feel confident in a positive, shame-free environment.
Our Pediatric Weight Management Program is a multidisciplinary program serving children, adolescents, and young adults ages 2 to 21 with a diagnosis of obesity. We offer children and families resources to promote healthy nutrition, healthy activity, and a healthy lifestyle.
Weight Management Services for Children
Our team includes physicians, a nurse practitioner, registered nurses, registered dietitians, a nutritionist, and a social worker. Health care professionals from different specialties collaborate and communicate about the best plan for your child.
Here’s what you and your child can expect:
- Focus on family behavioral health changes
- Complete medical evaluation and treatment by pediatricians who specialize in childhood obesity, including pediatric endocrinologists
- Evaluation and treatment by a registered dietitian
- Referral if needed to psychologists who specialize in childhood obesity
- Enrollment in the MIGHTY group program
What the MIGHTY Program Can Do for Your Family
MIGHTY stands for Moving, Improving, and Gaining Health Together at the YMCA. It’s an intensive six-month group program that emphasizes physical activity, nutrition, and change of habits for the entire family. It includes:
- Fitness evaluation
- Individual fitness prescriptions
- Group exercise sessions
- Individual and group nutritional counseling
- Strategies for maintaining lifelong health
Families who participate in MIGHTY receive a free six-month membership to the Springfield YMCA. Children interested in enrolling in MIGHTY must first be evaluated through our Pediatric Weight Management Program.