Pediatric Intermediate Care
The Pediatric Intermediate Care Unit (PICU) is a four-bed unit located next to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) in Baystate Children's Hospital on Daly 4 A. Infants and children newborn to 21 years of age maybe admitted to this area.
Each patient in the Pediatric Intermediate Care Area is monitored by the state of the art cardiac respiratory monitoring system and their medical care is in collaboration with the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit Intensivist.
What to Expect:
- Children and their families are encouraged to make your child's bed space area as our child's "home away from home".
- Please feel free to decorate it with your child's belongings.
- Small stuffed animals, mobiles, and pictures, are encouraged and often bring comfort to children while they are in a strange place.
- Parents and grandparents are encouraged to visit at any time while your child is in the Pediatric Intermediate Care Area.
- We ask that two people visit at a time. Please speak with your nurse concerning any other visitors that may be important for your child to see. When possible, special arrangements can be made.