Inpatient & Outpatient Anesthesia
Inpatient Anesthesia: We have a highly trained group of specialists to take care of you while you undergo your surgery. Our staff, which includes Board Certified Anesthesiologists, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists, and residents, are specially trained in the following areas of anesthesiology: pediatric, cardiac, neurosurgical, orthopedic, and geriatric. We will work with you to provide you with top quality, personalized care. Our preoperative evaluation will consider your medical history and upcoming surgery to establish the anesthetic and pain management options best suited for you. Our comprehensive perioperative services provide a preoperative consultation and evaluation, and intraoperative management techniques. We also offer state-of-the-art options for postoperative pain management including regional anesthesia.
Outpatient Anesthesia: The Chestnut Surgery Center and Baystate Orthopedic Surgery Center are state-of-the-art adult outpatient (ambulatory) surgical facilities. These buildings are designed for maximum patient comfort and privacy throughout their stay. We also offer accommodations for those patients undergoing procedures requiring an overnight stay. The focus of outpatient anesthesia is to provide the best anesthetic for a particular person and procedure. The goal being maximum comfort with no nausea or vomiting after surgery. The Anesthesia Department provides highly trained personnel with dedication to caring for the ambulatory surgical patient.
Cardiothoracic and Vascular
Anesthesia for complex cardiac and vascular surgeries is provided by a core group of anesthesiologists who have extensive training and experience in caring for these patient groups. Our Cardiothoracic and Vascular anesthesiologists
- Provide effective care for patients who are undergoing cardiac and vascular surgeries
- Provide compassionate care to these patients
- Possess a thorough understanding of these specialties
- Are skilled in performing Perioperative Transesophageal Echocardiographic exams
Our cases include
- Aortic Aneurysm surgeries: open and minimally invasive
- Minimally invasive Aortic Valve implantation
- Minimally invasive mitral valve repair
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft
- Mitral valve repair and replacement
- Aortic valve repair and replacement
- Adult congenital cardiac defect repairs
- Ventricular Assist Devices
- All Major Vascular procedures
With State of the art facilities, including new Operating rooms with the latest equipment and a dedicated Cardiac Critical Care ICU in the newly constructed Davis Family Heart and Vascular Center, you can expect the best care possible from our consultants.
Anesthesia services for obstetrics at Baystate Health are provided by a minimum of two anesthesia personnel, one being an attending anesthesiologist dedicated to the labor and delivery unit 24 hours a day. Nearly 70% of all patients delivering at Baystate receive an anesthetic.
The goal of labor analgesia at Baystate Health is to provide pain relief with as little effect on normal labor and the baby as possible.
"Epidural" analgesia is often used to relieve pain during vaginal births. Obstetricians and anesthesiologists have responded to the desires of our patients and are pleased to announce that patient-controlled epidural anesthesia (PCEA) is now available during labor, giving women more control over their own pain management, and alleviating anxiety throughout the process.
"Spinal" anesthesia may be required if a Cesarean section is necessary. Most Cesarean deliveries are done with spinal or epidural anesthesia; however in some cases, a general anesthetic (mother is completely asleep) may be required.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding obstetric anesthesia, please contact us to speak with an Obstetric Anesthesiologist:
- Baystate Medical Center:(413) 794-3520
- Baystate Franklin Medical Center: (413) 773-2359
- Baystate Mary Lane Hospital: (413) 967-6211
See Birthing Services for more information
Baystate Health is committed to providing the best care possible to our smallest customers - children. We understand the anxiety and stress for both the child and the parent that accompanies a surgical procedure. That is why we strive to make the anesthesia and surgical experience for children as safe and pleasant as possible.
- Staff is specially trained in pediatric anesthesia
- We are specialists in the treatment of pain in children
- Aggressive in making sure our patients are comfortable
- Parents are always encouraged to remain with their child for as long as possible throughout the process.
Our comprehensive team approach includes Operating Room and Recovery Room nurses with special training and interest in pediatrics, child life specialists, and preoperative tours. We have new separate Pediatric Operating Rooms, preoperative and recovery rooms especially designed for the pediatric population.