Internal Medicine Residency Program-At-A-Glance
Baystate Medical Center is a major teaching, clinical and research facility of Tufts University School of Medicine (TUSM). Baystate/TUSM is a national leader in healthcare quality and innovative medical education; our distinguished faculty members are consistently acknowledged among the best educators at Tufts University. The third largest teaching hospital in Massachusetts, Baystate/TUSM maintains an intimate atmosphere in a state-of-the-art tertiary care referral center. Our residents are encouraged to think critically and apply evidence-based medicine in a supportive team-based model of care. Our Geriatrics, Community Medicine, Healthcare Quality/Hospitalist and Research Tracks offer individualized training options. Graduates interested in subspecialty training receive competitive fellowships or pursue careers in academic medicine, hospital medicine and primary care. Our residents succeed in balancing clinical work, award-winning research, family, friends and outside interests. We welcome you to visit us and see what makes our program so special!
Meet Our Team
Residency Director: Michael Rosenblum, MD email: email@example.com phone: 413-794-4143
Residency Manager: Linda Baillargeon email: linda.Baillargeon@baystatehealth.org phone: 413-794-4373
Education Coordinators: Kerry Hayes, William Zing
By the Numbers
- Residents per class: 22 | Total number of residents: 66
- Male/female ratio: Male 55% : Female 45%
- Graduates entered Fellowship training over past 5 years: 53%
- 9 Medicine Subspecialty Fellowship Programs: Cardiology, EP, Interventional Cardiology, Endocrinology, Geriatrics, Hematology/Oncology, and Infectious Disease.
- Number of Faculty: 200
- One of the 21 national residency programs selected by the ACGME/RRC for Internal Medicine to participate in its Educational Innovations Project (EIP), developed to encourage the redesign internal medicine residency education focusing on training the "Internist of the Future."
- In 2012, Baystate Health opened several new facilities designed to enhance patient care including the Davis Family Heart & Vascular Center, Baystate Medical Center's Emergency & Trauma Center, the Baystate Breast & Wellness Center, and the Baystate Orthopedic Surgery Center.
- Our flagship 716-bed hospital, BMC (including Baystate Children's Hospital) in Springfield, is Western New England's only:
- Tertiary care referral medical center
- Level 1 Trauma Center
- Neonatal and Pediatric Intensive Care Units
- Magnet hospital - BMC has received the Magnet designation for the third time, an honor only 3% of hospitals in the US have achieved.
- Leapfrog Group Top Hospital - Baystate Medical Center was named among the Top Hospitals in the nation for quality, safety, and efficiency for the fourth consecutive year.
- Truven® Healthcare Analytics - (Formerly Thomson Reuters®) Top 100 Hospital, Major Teaching Hospital - Baystate Medical Center was recognized for overall quality outcomes and processes, organizational performance, including patient care, operational efficiency, and financial stability. Baystate Medical Center has received this designation five times.
- Truven Healthcare Analytics - Baystate Health was named among the 15 Top Health Systems in the country by based on superior quality and safety outcomes. Truven also named Baystate Medical Center a Top 100 hospital and a Top 50 cardiovascular hospital in the United States.
- US News Best Hospitals - Baystate Medical Center was designated as "high-performing" in 10 medical specialties, including Cardiology & Heart Surgery; Diabetes & Endocrinology; Ear, Nose & Throat; Gastroenterology; Geriatrics; Gynecology; Nephrology; Orthopedics; Pulmonology; and Urology.
> Complete list of awards and honors
We have attempted to maintain salaries in the 75th percentile nationally, and here in western Massachusetts, we enjoy a lower cost of living than in major urban areas. View our complete list of salaries and benefits.
Curriculum Summary - Block Rotations
PG1 (Learner): Ambulatory, Wards; MICU, CICU, ED, Geriatrics, Tracer, Night Float & Elective
PG2 (Manager): Ambulatory, Wards, CICU, Night Float, ED & Electives
PG3:(Teacher): Ambulatory, Wards, MICU, Consult, Admit Resident, & Electives
- Daily Inpatient Morning Report
- Daily General Medicine & Subspecialty Noon Conferences during Ambulatory
- Academic Half Day (AHD)
- Weekly Intern Intake with Chief Residents
- Weekly board Review
- Weekly Patient Simulation Training
- Resident Retreats; PG-1, PG-2 & PG-3s