Family Advisory Council
The Family Advisory Council aims to ensure the delivery of high quality, safe and positive memorable health care experiences for children and their families at Baystate Children's Hospital. The Family Advisory Council meets quarterly to brainstorm ideas and provide insight into changes that will improve service to children and families.
The Family Advisory Council includes:
- Past and present pediatric patients
- Health care professionals from both the inpatient and outpatient areas, has met quarterly since 2007 to brainstorm ideas and provide insight into changes that will improve service to children and families. Quality, safety and patient satisfaction are at the forefront of all discussions.
The Family Advisory Council, in partnership with Baystate Children's Hospital, will support the promotion and enhancement of high quality, safe and positively memorable healthcare experiences of children and their families in both the inpatient and outpatient areas.
- Encourages greater understanding of the healthcare experience through the eyes of the child and family.
- Actively participates in establishing a strong partnership between Baystate Children's Hospital staff, children and families.
- Honestly shares youth, parent and family perceptions and expectations concerning pediatric healthcare at Baystate Children's Hospital inpatient and outpatient areas.
- Evaluates practices, programs and services and provides recommendations that respond to the unique needs of the child and family based on family-centered care principles.
- Channels needs, concerns, and recommendations to the Director of Baystate Children's Hospital for review and direction.
- Contributes to the education of present and future healthcare providers.
- Provides a vital link between Baystate Children's Hospital and the community.
In addition to reviewing the Children's Hospital patient satisfaction data and making recommendations, the council has partnered with staff to critique, develop and improve the following:
- Family Advisory Council web page and content
- Baystate Children's Hospital web page, content and design
- Parent to Parent Time - a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit support program
- Creating appointment "scripts" for procedures/testing for children/parents who require special accommodations.
- Families on Rounds and Plan for the Day
- Family Resource Area
- Piloted a pediatric greeter to escort children/families to their destination
- Modified Emergency Pediatric and Adult processes and environment to provide greater understanding of the emergency room experience.
More information and frequently asked questions
Jacque Bell CCLS
Family Advisory Council Co-facilitator & Child Life Manager
Debbie Smith BSN,RN,BC
Family Advisory Council Co-facilitator & Spirit of the Child Coordinator