Baystate Medical Center’s Emergency & Trauma Center is here for every broken bone, for every heart that falters, for every traumatic injury requiring top-flight, 24/7 medical expertise. When injury or illness strikes, we’re ready. When children are hurt or fall ill, we provide comfort, kindness, and quiet competence. When aging takes its toll, we’re here to help and heal.
In a crisis, experience and expertise count. The more you do something, the better you get. That’s why Baystate Medical Center’s Emergency & Trauma Center is one of the most experienced anywhere. We are one of the busiest emergency departments in New England, seeing over 114,000 patients a year.
Our new, larger Emergency & Trauma Center – a 72,000 square foot expansion – features:
- Twice the number of private, adult patient care featuring rooms with glass-front doors, instead of treatment bays separated by curtains, to enhance privacy and a healing environment
- Three dedicated Trauma Rooms equipped with the latest technology
- The region’s only Pediatric ED – a new, dedicated area uniquely designed for the treatment of children
- A private, quiet, secure environment for patients with behavioral health issues
- A new rooftop helipad and 5 covered ambulance bays
The region’s only Pediatric ED - the Sadowsky Family Pediatric Emergency Department - a new, dedicated area uniquely designed for the treatment of children.
At Baystate Children’s Hospital, we know that kids are not just little adults. They have unique needs, especially when it comes to emergency care. Our new Sadowsky Family Pediatric department – staffed with board certified pediatric emergency specialists – the only one of its kind in western Massachusetts. It includes a separate waiting area and 18 treatment rooms for the privacy and comfort of children and their families.
The region’s only Level 1 Trauma Center
Our Emergency Department’s impact extends beyond Baystate Medical Center. As a Level 1 Trauma Center, we take care of patients from throughout western Massachusetts.
A Level I Trauma Center increases the chances of survival for a seriously injured patient by an estimated 20 to 25 percent. As the only Level 1 Trauma Center in western Massachusetts, we provide the most comprehensive surgical care to trauma patients 24/7, including: